The Institute for Evidence-based Reform, LLC, (TIER) was founded in 2010 by Kristin N. Johnson, Ph.D. and Kristopher J. Kaase, Ph.D. to support educators and caregivers in bridging the gap between knowledge and implementation of evidence-based practices with fidelity. TIER provides school districts, government education agencies, institutions of higher learning, non-governmental educational organizations, and parents with services and products to build their capacity to meet the needs of all those they serve. We believe building capacity requires a sustained effort and cannot be achieved through professional development alone. We work side-by-side with teachers, principals, administrators, and others to help them develop their capacity to consistently implement best practices. We believe this approach is the only way to effect real change and build sustainability.
We believe building capacity and sustainability requires each of the following components.
- Policy and Procedure Development – Getting your policies and procedure right is important to the success of any organization. We help organizations strike the balance between requirements and flexibility in creating policy.
- Professional Development – Professional development should help people improve their practice. Our professional development is rooted in evidence-based content and training practices that provide multiple opportunities for active engagement of participants.
- Coaching & Technical Assistance – We believe that significant learning happens when people try to implement what they have been taught through professional development. We believe providing support to teachers, principals, school district and state leaders, and others as they implement practices is necessary to build capacity.
- Data Analysis & Research – We believe we must evaluate our efforts with data. Consequently, we collect data about the processes we help you implement and data about the student outcomes. Both are critical measures of effectiveness and are necessary for improving practice.
What makes TIER distinctive?
- Working side-by-side with individuals in implementing practices
- Using efficient, evidence-based strategies and interventions that have high impact
- Providing detailed procedures for implementing strategies and interventions
- Providing tools for monitoring integrity of implementation
- Using data at all levels to form decisions and provide feedback of potential changes
- Providing focused support and effort
- Conducting research on our practices
- Engaging people from across the nation to learn about the latest developments in evidence-based practices
TIER staff are recognized nationally for their expertise and are trusted by a wide range of educational organizations and businesses. In addition to services to a number of school districts we have provided direct and advisory services to more than 20 states and U.S. territories.